Friday, June 13, 2008

T - 17 hours

I'm a wee bit excited. Well, more than a wee bit, I'm THRILLED because Sarah and Murdoch are due to arrive tomorrow. Yes, they are coming to see us, me, the girls. Woo-hoo. Ever since the birth of little Mur, Sarah and I have been trying to arrange for a meeting, and as you can imagine with busy lives and kids and soaring travel prices, this hasn't been the easiest prospect. Sarah diligently kept searching for good flights and found one in April.

Once a person passes his or her early twenties and college life, it becomes increasingly difficult to make great friends. Not that it doesn't happen, but marriage and work and home ownership often drain what little time is available for meeting new people out of our lives. Through marriage I was fortunate enough to meet Sarah (she's married to Craig's cousin, Andy), and we clicked. Though we live over 1,000 miles apart, we've been able to maintain a friendship by email and phone. Sarah is often the first person I email when my conscience is burdened, or I want to share news of the girls. She's been a thoughtful sounding board for me, and I value her judgement and often need her support.

The fact that she's getting on a plane VERY EARLY tomorrow morning with her little man in tow is pretty wonderful. I know I've told her half a dozen times what her trip means to me, what a big deal I think it is to travel with an infant to Georgia of all places, but I can never say it enough: Thank You, Sarah. We can't wait to see both of you.

3 comments:

Sydney said...

Enjoy your visit with your friend! Those visits across the miles are even sweeter when they finally happen.

Anonymous said...

Ellen - I hope you, Sarah, Mur, Craig, Grace & Julia had a fun weekend! I can't wait to read or hear about the visit and see pictures :)
~Laura

Sarah, Andy, Murdoch, and Deucey said...

Thank you for the kind words! Miss you guys already.

S