Monday, October 3, 2011

On the prairie

October is going to be an insane month for us. We are both traveling this week, and then once we return, Craig departs for Paris. The day after he leaves I start a three week long contract, which my boss tells me will be much more challenging than the previous job. So, knowing that the month will be busy and that I'll be alone for a spell, I decided to do Halloween costumes a month in advance. I sewed all weekend long, and today, finally, one is done.

IMG_5934

Inspired by a trip to Conner Prairie (where we purchased the bonnet) and the Little House books, Grace asked to be a prairie girl. Turquoise isn't really a prairie dress color, but she loves it (and isn't that the most important thing anyway).

IMG_5935

There are buttons to be added, but Grace couldn't wait to get it on. As I write this, she's gathering pecans from the yard. True Prairie Girl! Up next are the finishing touches on Princess Leia for my darling, Julia. Given that Julia's hair is only three inches long, it's going to be a challenge to fashion Leia's hair.

5 comments:

The Jordan Family said...

Wonderful costume! Grace looks so pretty!

mcm said...

She looks just like Laura! Has she started calling you and Craig Ma & Pa?

Rebecca said...

She looks great! Maybe she can pass the time by churning some butter :). One less thing to pick up at the grocery store.

For Julia, you could attach the side buns to a head band! I found this idea by searching for "princess leia wig" on Amazon.com.

I am so jealous of your sewing skills!

Ellen said...

Hah, Mary, you know she did! She also told Craig that he really needs his own prairie dress (he'll have to find that on his own).

Rebecca, thank you for the awesome idea: a head band would definitely work!

kathy.stadler said...

Grace is a true Laura! You are a great sewer! And I am sure Julia will be gorgeous too.
Early Happy Birthday Ellen..I hope to get a card in the mail to you!
Grandma Helen was great at sewing too. Mary Carol has inherited that skill also as I see you have too.
Great Job! God bless all.Love, Aunt Kathy