Sunday, August 14, 2011

Pain in the neck.

Lit-er-ally. The last ten days have been about pain, more pain, and even more pain in my neck. How it started is still unclear. Was it craning my neck to talk to a friend at a restaurant? Was the workout I did the night before too strenuous? It doesn't matter. What I know is that a week from last Thursday, I felt a searing pain light a fire from my neck into the base of my skull. A thinking person, a practical person would have slowed down, taken a break, but not me. I had school shopping to do, and a birthday party to plan. I wouldn't take a break, so my neck gave me the finger and made me slow down. It enlisted my shoulder and upper arm to go on strike. I couldn't move easily or well. I spent a lot of time lying on the floor until Craig said, "you really have to go to the doctor."

Which brings us to today, a full three days after I crawled in to see a doctor, and the drugs she prescribed have finally brought me some relief. I don't have to lie down every ten minutes, hooray! Cervical sprain is the term the doctor used, though I could have cared less. I cared about the words "muscle relaxant" and "pain killer."

But enough about me. There were other important things going on in our lives, like...

IMG_5878

the first day of school.

Both girls are doing well. Grace likes her teacher and her teacher likes her. WIN. On Julia's second day, she brought home this gem, "You get what you get, and you don't pitch a fit", which really only works if you say "get" like "git." That's my Georgia peach.

All in all, life is okay. My neck will be alright. My freelance job will get done (damn you neck). And we'll prepare ourselves for the next unexpected twist (I put my money on a kid getting sick).

4 comments:

kathy.stadler said...

That is a Precious Picture of the Girls and First Day at School!
Wow..Pain is awful..I do pray you feel better soon..I am sorry .
God bless you. Love, Aunt Kathy

Craig D. Byron said...

You could place your bet on the kids getting sick as the next unexpected twist but you would lose your money. This is because you never considered your husband's bursitis acting up and rendering him left armless for a day. Ice and advil seem to be a good remedy for inflammation of the olecranon bursa.

Rebecca said...

Grace and Julia are deliciously cute. How do you keep from gobbling them up? LOL

Whoever coined, "You get what you get..." is a genius. I first heard it from the preschool music teacher. It has endless applications in life!

I'm sorry about your neck. Good news that it's not terminal :). Too bad you have work to do, or you could just have a [drugged] vacation without ever having to leave the house. Craig: only one injury at a time!

mcm said...

So glad that you two have two great girls, who will LOOK AFTER YOUR DECREPIT SELVES in years to come. Whew.